The Indooroopilly Golf Club, in Brisbane’s inner west, is one of Queensland’s most prestigious courses with a long and proud history. It offers members and guests a 36-hole championship course, with six 18-hole course combinations.
Set in a tranquil parkland location bordering the Brisbane River, the club provides flexible and accessible membership opportunities for players of all ages and abilities.
Indooroopilly Golf Club delivers a premium, yet traditional golfing experience, only 10 minutes from the heart of Brisbane, plus clubhouse facilities to match.
A meeting on July 1, 1925, led to the founding of the Indooroopilly Golf Club and the club was established in 1926 when 124 acres (50 hectares) of freehold land was purchased from 13 owners for $17,000 and an 18-hole course opened at St Lucia. On July 3, 1926, the first nine holes were opened by Queensland Premier William McCormack. By the end of 1926 the second nine was in play.
After World War II, membership had more than doubled to 898 and a cap was placed on applications with a 15-year wait-list. In 1962 the Brisbane City Council called for tenders for the lease of an area of Sir John Chandler Park at Long Pocket, Indooroopilly. The club obtained a 21-year lease for about 180 acres (72.8 hectares) and included in the lease were Henry Thomas’s gardens and original homestead, Somerset. Read more about the Somerset property here.
Sydney course architect, Al Howard, designed the 18-hole course. A modest clubhouse was completed and the new course opened by Lord Mayor of Brisbane Clem Jones on March 8, 1964.
In 1973 the club agreed to exchange the St Lucia course and clubhouse for 200 acres (80 hectares) of freehold land adjoining the existing Long Pocket course on which another 18 holes and a new clubhouse could be built. At the same time the lease at Long Pocket was extended to 2058.
Changes were later made to the existing course with four loops of nine holes, each returning to a central clubhouse. The current clubhouse was opened on December 15, 1985, by Queensland Governor and club patron, Sir Walter Campbell.
The older 18-hole layout was renamed the West Course and the second 18 holes became the East course.
Visitors to the Indooroopilly Golf Club are welcome to play the course six days a week. A round of golf at the IGC is an ideal way to spend a day as a team, entertaining clients or raising funds for a charity.
Indooroopilly Golf Club offers members, guests and visitors a range of premium services and a variety of membership options, including full membership, restricted membership, lifestyle membership and family social membership. Wait lists apply for some memberships.
Find out more about membership options here.
The Indooroopilly Golf Club provides members, their guests and casual visitors a range of premium services, including practice facilities, professional golf coaching and club fitting, a fully stocked golf shop, restaurant and bar plus a well-appointed function areas perfect for business events, weddings and special occasions.
The Poinciana Restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch, seven days a week. For more information, click here.
The latest chapter of the Indooroopilly Golf Club’s history is Aura Holdings’ retirement living development, Somerset Indooroopilly.